Highbush blueberries, also called Giant Blueberries grow on bushes that can easily reach 6 feet high, in comparison to wild blueberries that are grown low on the ground. Highbush blueberries are much bigger than the wild lowbush wild varieties and individual berries can be as large as the size of a twenty-five cent coin.
Blueberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C and are high in manganese. Blueberries are also a good source of dietary fibre and contain more antioxidants than nearly any other fruit!
Look for firm, plump, dry, dark coloured blueberries with powder blue bloom.
To store highbush blueberries
- Arrange unwashed on a paper towel in a shallow pan.
- Loosely cover, refrigerate unwashed for up to ten days.
To freeze highbush blueberries
- Do not wash blueberries before freezing them.
- Pack the berries into freezer bags and store in the freezer for up to one year.
To prepare highbush blueberries
- Rinse in cool water.
- Enjoy raw, topped with cream or in an ice cream dessert. Blueberries are excellent in baking.
Blueberries are available late July to October