Strawberries are our first berries of the season! Strawberries are wonderful to eat fresh and are delicious in a wide variety of recipes.
Strawberries are very high in vitamin C and folacin. They are sodium-free and are a source of dietary fibre and potassium.
Look for firm, plump berries that are fully red with bright green caps. Strawberries do not ripen once picked.
How to store strawberries
- Arrange unwashed on a paper towel in a shallow pan.
- Loosely cover, refrigerate unwashed for up to five days.
How to freeze strawberries
- Wash strawberries before freezing them.
- Pack the berries into freezer bags and store in the freezer for up to one year.
How to prepare strawberries
- Gently rinse and pat dry.
- Hull, remove stem from end.
- Enjoy raw or topped with cream, ice cream, in smoothies or baked in a dessert.