- 6 cups (1.5L) Buttercup squash peeled, cubed (about one medium squash)
- 4 cups (1L) Butternut Squash peeled, cubed (about one small squash)
- 4 cups (1L) Acorn squash peeled, cubed (about one small squash)
- 4 cups (1L) orange juice
- 3/4 cup (180mL) white sugar
- 3/4 cup (180mL) dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
Place squash cubes in a large saucepan and pour in orange juice. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-low heat; allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add both sugars and vanilla. Continue cooking over medium heat, uncovered, stirring often to prevent squash from sticking to pan. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until squash is very soft.
Reduce or increase the amount of orange juice to adjust the consistency to your liking.
For a smoother compote, purée the mixture in the blender. Serve hot or cold in pretty dessert cups, along with ginger cookies.