- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs skin and excess fat removed
- 1/2 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup shallot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups ground cherries/pineapple tomatillos
- 2/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
Dredge the chicken in the cornmeal, salt, and pepper to coat lightly. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large, deep saucepan and brown the chicken until golden on both sides.
Add the remaining olive oil, shallot, red pepper, ground cherries, pineapple juice, vinegar, and garlic and increase heat to high until the ingredients begin to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the ground cherries have broken down.
Uncover and increase the heat to high and cook for another ten minutes, or until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is cooked through. Adjust the salt and sprinkle with flat leaf parsley, if desired.