- 1 pat butter
- 2 cups (500mL) pumpkin peeled and finely sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) Parsnip peeled and finely sliced
- 3 shallots
- nutmeg freshly ground, to taste
- 1 cup (250mL) light cream
- 2 cups (500mL) strong cheddar or other strong cheese grated
- 1 1/4 cups (310mL) Butternut Squash peeled, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) celeriac peeled and finely sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper To taste
Preheat oven 400°F (200°C)
Butter a 9 in (23 cm) gratin platter and layer slices of pumpkin and parsnip. Season, sprinkle with half the shallots and nutmeg; pour on half the cream and sprinkle with half the cheese.
Layer slices of squash and celeriac. Season and add the rest of the shallots, a little nutmeg and the rest of the cream and cheese.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 10 to 15 more minutes or until the vegetables are well cooked. To brown the top, broil for a few minutes.