- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 Acorn squash peeled and cut in pieces
- 3 1/2 cups (875 ml) oat flakes
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) whole wheat flour
- 2 cups (500mL) brown sugar
- 4 tsp (20mL) Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) Milk
- zest of an orange
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/4 tsp (2 ml) ground ginger
- 3 cups (750 ml) grated carrots
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a saucepan, cook squash until tender. Drain and purée in a blender. Put aside.
In a bowl, combine oat flakes, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg. Put aside.
In another bowl, beat the eggs. Add 3 cups (750 ml) mashed squash, oil, milk, orange peel, vanilla and ginger.
Add the carrots and the dry ingredients and mix well.
Pour into oiled muffin pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted inside comes out clean.
Let cool before removing from pan.